Girl Interrupted

  • Valerie: What would you have said to her?
  • Susanna: I don't know. That I was sorry. That I will never know what it was like to be her. But I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. You hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside.
  • Valerie: Susanna, it's all well and good to tell me all this; but you gotta tell some of this to your doctors.
  • Susanna: How the hell am I supposed to recover when I don't even understand my disease?
  • Valerie: But you do understand it. You spoke very clearly about it a second ago. But I think what you've gotta do is put it down. Put it away. Put it in your notebook, but get it out of yourself. Away so you can't curl up with it anymore.
  • Susanna: Lisa thinks it's a gift. That it lets you see the truth.
  • Valerie: Lisa's been here for 8 years.
  • Susanna: [crying] I'm so sorry. I was a bitch. I was a bitch.
  • Valerie: Don't drop anchor here, you understand?
  • Susanna: [narrating] When you don't want to feel, death can seem like a dream. But seeing death, really seeing it, makes dreaming about it fucking ridiculous. Maybe, there's a moment growing up when something peels back... Maybe, maybe, we look for secrets because we can't believe our minds...
  • [overlapping words]
  • Susanna: All I know is that I began to feel things again. Whatever I was, I knew there was only one way back to the world and that was to use the place to talk. So I saw the great and wonderful Dr. Wick three times a week and I let her hear every thought in my head.